Monday, August 8, 2011

New Direction

In high school we are expected to figure out what we want to by our senior year. But between social lives, friends, family, hormones, and all the drama that ensues in those 4 years how is anyone supposed to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives. So for those of you who don't know, I went to a tech high school. And for those of you who don't know what that is its a high school where you pick a "shop" like culinary arts or allied health or cosmetology and you are trained for 4 years while also getting your high school diploma. So coming out of a tech high school you don't really have to go to college but you have a great head start if you do. I went for Culinary Arts just like my hubby(its actually where we met) but where he went on to college for Culinary, after the first year I had decided I wanted to teach. No kitchens, no restaurant, and definitely no cooking. So for 2 more years, because I had gone to a different school freshman year, I was going to learn everything the school had to teach about culinary arts and when I left I would never use any of it outside of my own home kitchen. So yea, I got a great husband and some great friends out of going there, and just enough culinary knowledge to piss Dave off when we cook together, but it was outside of the kitchen I learned my real passion: Math.

Now no one faint! I am well aware that other than basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division most peoples eyes begin to cross especially when the books start mixing letters in with the numbers. But to me the problems come off the page and dance around me just waiting to be picked and solved. It was like walking or breathing, it just came that natural to me. And many of my Math teachers over the years saw this and gave me all the extra problems they could find, and when those were gone, one teacher even let me teach. Standing in front of that freshman class, seeing all of there eyes go from glassy to normal, really beginning to understand, I knew this was where I wanted to be the rest of my life. I planned accordingly, and even my love life was going to fall into place. Graduate, go to college, 4 years in get engaged(teaching is 5 years), married after college graduation, house and job in the first 2 years, then baby 1 at 25, 2 at 27. All my goals would have been met by the time i had turned 30 and those of you who know me, know my plans went a little array. I ended up getting married and having 2 babies before I even turned 20(caught that deadline by 2 days lol).

 Apparently my uterus had not gotten the memo( but neither had my hormones). So I have lived my life still wanting to reach those goals but after starting this blog, I have begun to think maybe I want to be a writer instead. But in order to so either job I need a college degree so I'd have to choose. Or maybe I'll go crazy and get a double major in journalism and mathematics and then still do the classes to become a teacher, all while being a mother and a wife and having at least a part time job. **tires squeal, brakes to the floor, hit brick wall anyway** How the hell am I supposed to do all that? I want so much to do everything all at once and just be superwoman but alas I am just shy of super powered. So now I have to decide. I can become a teacher and get a good job that will coincided with my kids' schedules, or become a journalist and maybe never find a job, but if I did i might just be able to work from home. But writing and math are both passions of mine, but I love teaching. So here's what I'll do. I'll keep giving advice to my friends, and writing my blog, and I'll go to college for teaching. And maybe I'll find a college paper to write for and in 5 years i might just have enough advice and stories to publish a book(if anyone other than my parents would read it.)

 So I guess it just comes down to following my heart and doing what I love, even if the only people who listen are then ones who always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment